Principal-Agent Model

Principal-Agent Model

It is tough for me to come up with an example of my own involvement in a principle-agent model because I think I have been rarely affected by it. To my memory, I generally act as the agent in the few situations I have experienced triangular principal-agent model. The retail store that I wrote about in previous blog posts will serve as my example for this particular post.

To my understanding, in order to address the prompt, I need to describe a situation where there are two principals and one agent. In the case of my example, I am the agent, or the employee, and the two principals are my manager and coordinator. Before I became a stock lead in the back, I worked as a general merchandise associate. In other words, I worked under a stock room coordinator, who worked under the manager, who also had power over me. I respected my coordinator much more, because I was around her more often and she was gentler in her requests. However, ultimately I had to carry out the orders of my head manager. The issue with this was that my stock room coordinator and my head manager did not see eye-to-eye. They agreed on the common goal of processing products and emptying out the back room in order to make room for even more products, but often differed on how this got done. This usually trickled down to me, the agent of the two principles. I was the work force, and although my coordinator helped tag clothes, she mostly acted as a supervisor, telling me what to do. She would tell me to move one pallet to the side, or start working on a pallet, or to attempt to break down one more pallet before my shift was over, and my manager would tell me otherwise, to move a pallet to a different side of the room, to start a different pallet than I was told by my coordinator, etc. Also, many times I was told by my manager to come to the front of the store and clean, as well as do other various tasks, such as change out signs to prepare for the holidays. My coordinator would get upset with this, as I was no longer available to help her with a job that is arguably more important, as well as doing the work my position entails. She would discuss this with my manager but to no avail, and I continued to do these tasks for both principles. In other words, I was the agent for both principles, who had similar goals but also differing desires for what they wanted me to do.

Overall, this seemed to slow down the back room efficiency. I couldn't fully be at my best when the principals were constantly in a state of miscommunication and disagreement. If it was up to me, I would simply work under my coordinator, who then would tell me exactly what to do, and I woud do it successfully and we would leave knowing we made a significant impact. It isn't like this with every manager; there are managers who come in, tell my coordinator to do what they feel needs to be done, and leave us alone to make the call to do the right thing and ultimately help out the business in the way we feel fit. I didn't have much say at this time, as I was simply the employee who had no choice but to do what I was told to do. Although the manager is technically above my coordinator in the ranking of management, I believe they would still both be considered principals as, although the manager has the say at the end, they both technically have authority over the agent, and the coordinator is sometimes able to sway the head manager to allow us to do things the way we feel is right.

I don't think there's much I can do to resolve the situation. The principals need to work out a system that allows them both to get what they want. This could happen by hiring another employee to do the work on the floor as opposed to me, as well as the manager allowing the coordinator to run the back room without interference. I don't think I ever failed in what I did, I simply clocked in, did what I was told, and clocked out.

Comments

  1. It is interesting that in the title of your post you spelled principal (which is correct) but in your first sentence you spelled principle (which is not). Let's see if you keep this straight from here on out.

    Let me also say, that in a hierarchy one reason to draw the org chart is to consider the shape for the relationship. If an employee has a supervisor, that is considered a vertical relationship. If the supervisor also has a boss, we'll call that person the manager, then there is another vertical relationship. Taken together these relationships form a line segment, not a triangle. If the manger does give some directives to the employee, which sometimes happens, we'd say the manager is micro-managing. But that is not a good example of the triangle. For the triangle to happen the two principals are not in a vertical relationship. They may be in entirely separate units. Or they may be in the same unit but have different responsibilities.

    In the purely vertical situation, if the relationship between the supervisor and the manager is not good, that can certainly impact the employee negatively. Your story is in that mold. But the native outcome is not sufficient for the triangle. So you need to ask whether you can produce the negative outcome yet with a different structure that you've experienced.

    I'm somewhat surprised but several students in our class have said they haven't had such experiences. I'm curious as to why that is, because it hasn't been an issue when I've taught the class previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Total accident on the typo. For some reason I've always had trouble with those two words. I'll make sure to pay better attention in the future.

      I had a feeling I might've been off on this. So, for it to be a triangle, would it make more sense if I brought in the delivery company as opposed to either the manager or the supervisor? More specifically, that they can't empty out their truck of merchandise unless there's space in the backroom, thus causing their delivery system to be less efficient?

      I feel that many students may have experienced this, but weren't looking for it when working for their company. Since we just learned this model, maybe it was simply tough for students to look back and find fitting examples.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Group Dynamics

Armen Alchian Econ 490 Fall 2019: Organizations

Armen Alchian Econ 490 Fall 2019: Transfer Pricing & Illinibucks